Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Welcoming in 2012

     
Discussing plans for the new year




       New Years has never been a favorite holiday of mine.  Now, I have had enjoyable New Years before, don't get me wrong, its just the overall feel of New Years to me is like an amateur night.  People that don't go out all damn year think they need to get all dolled up, hit the town, drink too much, possibly drive drunk, boys get obnoxious,  and girls cry if they don't kiss a boy at midnight.  It's alcohol infused drama rolled up in nice outfits with champagne stains and glazed eyes bumping into me wearing 2012 glittery glasses and waving their cigarette adorned hand too close to my face.  To me, it is a night that I would rather stay at home, perhaps with a few fun friends, than be out at a crowded, overpriced bar.  So, this New Years Eve was perfect.

       Our favorite people in Fort Pierce gathered at Donna and Joe's property for a farm inspired New Year's Eve Bash.  Donna and Jerren prepared some awesome food but had most of it done prior to everyone arriving so nobody was stuck in the kitchen cooking.  We spent the night outside around a fire, playing music, telling stories, laughing, talking about possible new year resolutions, playfully suggesting some for our husbands or our wives, and enjoying the perfect bonfire weather and each other.  We had a "warm-up" bonfire with a collection of our dried up Christmas trees which shot bright, beautiful amber flames at least thirty feet into the air.  Later that night, we lit a second bonfire right as we counted ourselves down to midnight.  We gathered around the fire and I watched the shadows of the flames dance across the smiling faces of our loved ones as we hugged and wished each other a blessed and happy New Year.  I thought, this to me is the perfect way to start a brand new year.  Much more refreshing and respectful than my college days of blurry lore.  A new year, a fresh, bright beginning but also an end.  A time to reflect on the person I was in 2011 and the woman I would like to be in the coming year.  My favorite part of New Years is the reflection on the past year and the hopes for the coming months.  It signifies a pause in my life that seems to pass faster every year, to say yes, damn I am fortunate and I should never take for granted all the amazing people in my life and the love we all share for one another.  I closed my eyes and visualized the people I love that were somewhere else at that moment hugging people they love right at that same time and sent a silent wish for a blessed new year to them.  I then opened my eyes and welcomed 2012 and all it has in store for me.  It's going to be a good year.
M.

Team Jer and Meg 

Jamming by the fire

June woke up about 10 minutes before midnight to help ring in the new year with everyone.  Our little party girl. 

The boys starting the midnight bonfire



Pat and Conor

Almost the whole gang

Bienvenidos 2012

Partied Out

No comments:

Post a Comment