Thursday, April 2, 2020

The start of the Quarantine


The pandemic shelter at home guidelines came to our community mid March.  Woody and Tohi went to school for a total of 10 days before the county closed the schools down. Both kids were really disappointed but Conor and I thought it was kinda funny.  We waxed and waned about starting school and then we made this big family decision to "join the system" and put the kids in school and then 10 days later we were home schooling again! ha! So our days feel like our life in Panama.  We hang out with only each other, go to the beach, bake bread, paint, read books, play in the yard, and home school.  The restrictions of quarantine are closer to what my family knows as "normal" compared to the life we had just started to live.  

I know that many families are impacted by this quarantine in much more challenging ways than us.  My heart goes out to those that have lost their jobs, to those working their full time jobs at home while also trying to home school their kids, and especially to the essential workers that have to go to work and expose themselves and then come home to their families.  There are so many unknowns with this virus and what the future holds.  My heart aches for those who have lost loved ones and for those elderly people sheltering at home all by themselves. Each day we hear of more deaths and new hot spots.  There is a message of fear and uncertainty being spoken on every news channel you care to listen to.  My hope is that this brings out the best in people and not the worse.  I hope that kindness and compassion to each other and to the earth is what prevails in these unknown times.   



Oma came up to check out the new house 



the other mask to wear:  spa mask

organic homemade facial masks, calming music, and lavender foot and hand massages. . . and lots of giggling.  






we were outside doing a puzzle when Tohi snapped a few pictures on my phone.  And since I'm not usually in any of the pictures, I kept them! haha



Conor built us this picnic table and the kids and I put the waterproof sealer on it.  The kids were so excited to help that I couldn't say no but, oh my goodness, there was so much paint on them afterwards.  Frances's hair was standing up in weird directions for days.  









The exit is always funny!





Tohi is really taking the "social distancing" thing serious.  haha







Woody was playing with some neighborhood kids and a 6 year old little girl was throwing rocks and one hit Woody in the face and chipped his permanent tooth.   It was such a bummer.  The other parents felt terrible and Woody got some nice apology cards and a few boxes of cookies but it's such a bummer it was a front permanent tooth.   

This sweet kid did awesome!

nervously looking on as loud tools were used on their brother's tooth




we bought a van!


Frances. . . I can still see you eating the tortillas haha




this water fountain had a little too much power but when you're thirsty, you make it work 



Tohi drew "hiking up Mount Everst"

Woody and I trying out black pens and watercolor 

we haven't seen toilet paper in the stores in weeks and we have been using paper towels since mid March.  This is the window of our neighbors house that faces our backyard.  All that hoarded toilet paper. . . 

Frances is becoming a big girl and just as my heart starts to ache that my last baby isn't a baby anymore, she snuggles in like this to take a nap and I just love it. Her skin is so soft and even if she's been outside playing all morning, she always smells so perfect.  She's still my baby. 

these two were on a mission to  "build a trap to catch animals so we can eat" It is, indeed, strange times.  


enjoying some alone time in the pond


we are starting to acquire some "house items"

the box has been turned into an epic fort




Woody and a fellow second grade neighbor out for a bike ride in the neighborhood without parents!



Tohi's birthday skateboard!! 





I use to push baby Woody in this same swing.  And here we are back in Indialantic with my first baby pushing my last baby in the same swing.  There is a comfort in the continuity of it all.  







No comments:

Post a Comment