Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bimini Ho!


          The waiting for weather was getting to everyone, and while we enjoyed the company of the flotilla, I think everybody was getting a little stir-crazy.  So when a moderatly acceptible forecast of NE winds 10-15knots, seas 2-4 feet, building to 4-6 feet in the gulf stream came from the NOAA weather radio's monotone male robotic voice, we dediced to go for it. 
Penny makes one last ditch effort for adoption out of the Gualby Nation

And then rejection holed her up in bed for days


          We woke up yesterday at 4am, upped anchor and headed out government cut, leaving the marine stadium anchorage behind.  We motor-sailed at about 7 knots through a long period 2 foot swell with a 1-2 foot chop for about nine hours, bringing us in to Bimini at 1pm.  Meg and I felt like we couldn't have asked for better weather this time of year.

Heading East towards Bimini and the Sun

 One negative thing I can say is that we caught no fish.  I still can't believe we could sail all the way through the gulf stream, countless schools of flying fish, numerous weed lines, and not have pulled up a single fish.  Guess I'll have to fine tune my spread of lures.  The winds started out from the northwest, which was perfect for us, but by 9:30am switched to northeast.  Although the northeast wind kept us motorsailing to make good time it was a sunny day and an easy first crossing.  The funny thing is we saw about 10 other boats sailing in the same direction, and then we saw all these boats pull in to Bimini the same day.  Meg was amazed that as we pulled into Alice Town channel the water truly is gin clear and the blue-est of blues.
This is my sailing hair.  When not sailing it looks like Justin Bieber's
 
          Alice Town, Bimini, is exactly what I envisioned a Bahamas town to look like:  very rough on the outside, with extremely friendly and nice people walking around.  A one lane dirt road is lined with small and dilapidated buildings.  The stores are small and devoid of frills, but seem to have everything one might need, from booze to school uniforms.  Customs officials were really nice, not overly stringent, and seemed to want to get us in and out of the office as quickly as possible so they could resume watching soap operas.  We paid 300$ for a cruising and fishing permit that is good for up to one year.  The dog was no extra fee since we already had an import permit.  We bought a 7$ bag of ice and headed back out to anchor and celebrate.  Right now we sit anchored in a currently "under construction" marina and subdivision which is providing Wifi over the anchorage.   
Penny sniffs the warm Bimini air as we approach
          The plan for today is to motor to the north end of Bimini and snorkel "Bimini Road", an underwater,  boulder-lined road of unknown origin, that apparently leads out into the depths and disappears.  It has been suggested that it once lead to the lost city of Atlantis.  Then we will head to the south end of South Bimini to Nixon's Harbour, anchor, and use the canoes to explore and hunt for dinner.  Hopefully the next Update will contain pics of our spoils.
C

8 comments:

  1. hello my loves! glad to hear you made a safe and timely crossing... i'm so excited for you guys! it's got to be awesome to feel that you are FINALLY setting out on this adventure... anyways, i have to admit that i just checked out this whole site since i got back from hawaii and i almost cried a few times. you guys are so amazing and you will be missed but hopefully i'll be seeing you soon-ish. anyways, i forgot to get your email before we parted ways so hit me up when you get a chance, laurenoed@aol.com. happy journeys and hi to the whole flotilla crew! much love, lo

    ps- my dad had written you a lil something too but i'm new to the whole blog thing and somehow i lost it but his post went something like this (don't quote me on this): glad you guys made it safe to the land of crystal clear water, you're going to have an awesome adventure, hi to brian and angie.... and that's all i've got for now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo!!!!!!! Congratulations on a successful trip! I'm so happy to know yall are safe and sound in the Bahamas! The pics are gorgeous I can't wait to see more! By the way, I've made yall's website an "app" on my iPhone, so I'm constantly checking for updates!!! :) ( this could become an obsession for me). Anyways, it sounds like yall are having a blast! Love y'all and stay safe!
    Love, Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a bit confused about the Justin Bieber comment, as I had assumed Conor and I were at about the same level with our pop culture awareness, and I have no idea what Justin Bieber's hair looks like????!

    Yay for Bimini! Good luck fishing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like your dream is coming to furuition in the GualbyNation!. - I'm really happy for you both.

    Great blog, photos & narrative are superb.

    Have one for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy has written something for you both but forgot it at home. Stay tuned for her response. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright I can't stand it. My two cents on the rigs. Lure may have weaknesses but I think the fish are ripping their own faces off these heavy duty rigs, too. Or, the wire leaders are kinking and snapping from the monster thrashing to get free. I know you said no more poles but. .. 3 rods in a row at the back, with quick snap releases at the scoops, the scoops become outriggers (clothes pin type). Ditch the wire leader for heavy mono, and let that fish wear out before putting it on the boat. If you start pulling heads only, you're finished. (shark/barracuda, of course) Damn, I wish I was there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So exciting! I am enjoying reading your blog and all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete