Sunday, November 21, 2010

More of the Bimini Islands

11/17/2010
          We are currently in our third anchorage of our trip, so feeling like anchorage experts at this point, we agree that this anchorage is awesome. I keep thinking to myself, “should I be really trying to take this all in, capture a bunch of pictures, and relish in this beautiful and seemingly almost perfect anchorage; or is this the norm and there are a million more anchorages just like this and possibly even sweeter?“ The first day here we got up early and paddled in so Penny could run around and we could explore. Con and I walked on clean, white sand and climbed over grey, dried trees smooth to the touch from the ocean tides lapping over them twice a day. There I looked at the white sand stretching out into ridiculously clear water that has such a range of intense blues and claimed, with a laugh, that I had found paradise and I was done exploring. Of course not true, but I felt that way. This was the island I thought about in my head after I came home from work tired and frustrated and prepared myself to go back and do it all again the next day. The snorkeling is beautiful, tons of brightly colored fish and there are parts where almost the whole ocean floor is covered in different colored sea fans dancing with the ebb and flow of the gentle swell. I snorkeled yesterday with the flip camera to record how cool the snorkeling was but Con and I couldn’t even finish watching it on the computer because it was going to make us sea sick the footage was so shaky. So everyone is just going to have to believe me because the proof is too brutal to watch. When I get a steadier hand underwater I will post a video. Conor actually asked if I was swimming with the hand that was holding the camera.

          Our days at are filled with snorkeling, hunting for fish, lobster, conch, exploring, fishing and yes, reading and napping. When the sun starts to get lower in the sky, we get on the VHF with the other boats and discuss what we are bringing to the island campfire for dinner that night. We canoe in with our bounty from that day and chill around the campfire. We share food, laugh and tell stories, and we acknowledge what an incredible place we are experiencing.
M




 

9 comments:

  1. Pics look incredible! I changed my pic again, thanks Meghan ! Hope your both having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey guys, sounds like you're having an awesome adventure! diggin the story on the cracked conch experience... i was getting some great visuals. love the pics... penny should be a model, she's a sexy bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beach looks beautiful and you know how much I like sand. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Conor and Meg- This is your cousin Kyle. I talked with Uncle Joe and AD this weekend through skype - they were all gathered at my house for Thanksgiving and they told me about your website. I am in Germany playing professional basketball. I signed my contract in early October and flew out here on October 10th. We are 10 games into the season and have 20 more to go. I'll be heading back to the states on April 27, 2011. Just wanted to drop you guys a little note to let you both know that I was thinking about ya and I wish you the best of luck in your adventure. Take care.

    Kyle Moore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful description! It makes me wish my family and I were living a similar life. When I was a teenager, I lived in St. Thomas. It was a fantastic experience and really opened my eyes at how wonderful and unrelenting the ocean can be. It’s something I’ve tried to impress upon my daughter.

    Have a happy belated Thanksgiving and keep posting.

    Kevin White
    UF Rugby 1999-2001

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys looks like things have been good..and Penny is still alive (thumbs up)..let me know when, if you are, going to DR..I might have to make a surprise visit, although it wouldn't be surprise because I'm now telling you about it now

    ReplyDelete
  7. So it's 5.00pm on Friday evening and I am finally taking a minute to catch up and Meghan your last post has just about made me cry! I know how hard you worked for this and you deserve all of it but Oh how I wish right this second I was right there with you. Can't wait to catch up with you guys some time some where and enjoy a little of your life :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Conner, congrats on pushing off. Im envious of you all. As I told hippie, love the blog keep it up man. Best wishes to the whole flotilla
    Dirty Doug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg, sounds like paradise! Wish I was there

    ReplyDelete