Thursday, May 2, 2013

How did I take photos before digital?

I did not have a "real" camera until Conor bought me one for my 24th birthday.  I used film.  And not in a cool sense of "I'm a photog.  and I use film to allow for the best natural light for truly organic life moments captured." I used the orange and yellow Kodak disposable cameras.  On big weekends I would buy the fun saver pack with two in them.  Then I eagerly awaited the photo results after dropping them off at Walgreens, hoping most of them turned out.  And because I am an awesome friend, I always paid for doubles so I could share.  The world of digital photography was something I didn't even want to be a part of.  The cameras were expensive and I break shit plus I liked pictures I could hold in my hands; and place them on college cork boards and refrigerators.  Who needs all this advanced technology with tons of buttons and zooms and options just to take a picture?  I feel the same about all the advancements in cell phones.  I am the last generation that formed friendships without the use of a cell phone.  I didn't get a cell phone until I was a sophomore in college.  When I met Conor he called my Zack Morris-esque cell phone from the pay phone at theWinn Dixie down the road from his house.  And we managed to get married.  All of my best girlfriends I met before I owned a cell phone.  Perhaps needing to see someone face to face to talk and planning a time to meet up and having to keep it because you can't send a generic text to cancel means, mentally, we were in a place to form longer lasting relationships.  There was a higher degree of accountability and reliability, a seemingly greater amount of commitment given to trying to form a relationship.  Or perhaps, I don't know what the F I am talking about and I am just jealous of the people that can check their email, bank accounts, and facebook while getting directions and syncing their ipod/pad/book/droid/fairy dust sprinkling device with their bluetooth magicalness in their icey cold air conditioned car.  My point is that I don't totally embrace all advancements in technology.  I liked the days of when you were out, you were out with the people you met, no checking your texts to see if someone better is trying to hang out with you.  The days of when you committed to the friends that called your home phone first or to the boy that had the cojones to ask you on a date face to face, not text you to see what you were doing later.  However, I am embracing the hell out of taking, sharing, and uploading digital photos.  I am in love with the ability of taking 8,000 pictures of the same thing because I know one of them will turn out.  I'll have at least one keeper in a sea of blurry Elwood's.  I can't find any downsides to having as many photos and videos of this little man as I can possible take.  And I can easily post these photos and videos on this blog or send them via email to friends.  I can't, however, scan them through my bluetooth to my Ifire tablet and text them to anyone, while I simultaneously get a news feed of kim kardashian's baby weight gain. . . and I think I'm okay with that.  

If I was only using the fun saver,
this would be my photo. . . 
Instead of this cuteness















"Here, Pen. I don't mind sharing my stick,"

"Seriously, go ahead, take it."

"Ooh, gotcha.  Still got it. Sucker."


"So, Pen, is this the right bite technique?"







This guy does squats all day long

"Um, hello, Dad get off the phone and come get me please."
A few more photos for the future 
wedding day slide show



Woody got a beach cart for his birthday




Fishing Buddies


















Birthday beach cart doubles as a cozy napping nest






      

1 comment:

  1. He is so freaking cute, I can barely take it! When can I see him next? and you too!!

    ReplyDelete