Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy Birthday, Con

       The first few weeks have really flown by, and they have brought us right to Conor's birthday!
       We heard of a Thai restaurant on Bastimentos that just re-opened (the Thai owner had been gone for a few months) and we decided to check it out. We took a water taxi to Bastimentos (I love traveling everywhere by boat, it is just way more enjoyable than a car) and walked the trail up the side of the hilly terrain towards the restaurant. Bastimentos is just a three minute water taxi ride away from Bocas town but they are quite different. We like the vibe on Bastimentos. It is a much hillier island, it's not mountainous but its more than hilly, not sure what word I am looking for here but picture green, lush, rainforest-y, more then hills, less than mountains atmosphere. Bastimentos has significantly less people, bars, and restaurants, and from what I can tell, one "road" on the whole island. I call it a road because it is paved but it is not wide enough for any vehicle, not even a golf cart and that makes me happy. Everyone justs walks along, saying hello to their neighbors and the occasional gringo tourist. The path up to the restaurant was a little confusing but fun.  I think we only took one wrong turn and had to back track just a little but there aren't many paths so I don't think we could have gotten lost even if we tired. Every 50 yards or so there is a hand painted sign telling us we are going the right way which is encouraging. We successfully made it to the restaurant and it is gorgeous.  The place is tucked deep into the top of Bastimentos island with rainforest, banana trees, and wildlife the only views. The main bungalow, with gorgeous wood floors and walls and a perfect thatched roof, serves as the restaurant. There are three smalls tables out on a balcony overlooking a breath taking expanse of raw wilderness. The owner and chef served us up delicious, traditional Thai dishes which we enjoyed while taking in the views and cheersing to the birthday boy. After dinner the walk back down the dirt/slightly muddy path was a bit trickier in the dark and I made a mental note to remember a flashlight next time we dine here. Later in the evening we hit a few bars in Bocas town, took the dingy to a bar across the way, and then took a lesisurely round about way home in the dingy while finishing the last of our birthday beers. I think my favorite part of Conor's birthday was when we got back to our boat, and no it's not what you are thinking. Ted and Shannon dropped us off, I went inside and not more than 30 seconds later I hear a grunt and a splash. Was that Penny? I go outside to see a smiling Conor swimming back to the scoops, asking me if I saw or felt the rogue wave that just came through that threw him off the boat. Con has tainted his title of the only one who has not fallen off the boat, Happy Birthday Buddy.
M.


Everyone in their birthday best


No comments:

Post a Comment