Thursday, August 25, 2011

Gualby Life Update

       We have a life update. We are low on cash and my man is going back to work. I am going to sit at home and eat Bon Bon's.
       Well, not exactly but something like that. Conor has the opportunity to beef up our bank account by going back to the hospital we both use to work at to cover some shifts. This is a huge opportunity for us and our future. When we first started planning this trip we thought working along the way might be an option (we both didn't think this soon, but such is life). Ya gotta roll with what life sends you.

       Conor will be gone for a few months and we talked long and hard about putting the boat in the marina and getting me and the dogs back home as well. The dogs are the biggest issue. They are complicated and expensive to get back to the states. We think Bubby is small enough for some airlines to be a carry on but Penny would have to be shipped and there are a lot of horror stories out there on pets being traumatized, injured, lost, or worse by the rough conditions of "pressurized cargo." Putting the boat in the marina, buying me a ticket as well, the dogs, and the extra money a non working person would spend in the states, all added up to getting the whole clan home being not the best decision for us. So, with a few tears (mine), we decided that the best plan for us right now would be for Conor to fly home and me to stay in Bocas and take care of the dogs and the boat. We, of course, have some concerns.  Storms, theft, and my safety being the top three, not necessarily in that order. Conor buried the hell out of our manson anchor, I will now lock the canoe up because it takes two to flip it up onto the davits, and to quote Conor, "Meg, seriously, who is going to steal a girl with dreads? You'll be fine while I am gone." Con, always the romantic.

      On August 23, I bid farwell to Conor at the small Bocas airport with a few tears, I was saving them up for when I would be in the privacy of my boat. I am sad, of course, and I already miss him but like I was saying earlier this is a huge break for us financially and I will be just fine while he is gone. Just me, Pen Dog, and the Bubbino taking care of each other and Gualby. Oh Geez, wish me luck!
M.
   

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm living vicariously through your posts of your travels! How exciting, harrowing and wonderful things have been. Such amazing life experiences! Its like an exciting novel where I KNOW the lead characters. Wishing you safety and not to be lonely. Ill keep reading!

    ReplyDelete