Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Our new day to day life in Bocas

       We are slowly acquainting ourselves with the new spot we are living.
       I am trying to figure out where the freshest vegetables are, and as usual a friendly and cute factor is involved as well. As in, if the owner of the veggie/fruit stand smiles at me and doesn't seem incredibly impatient while I speak my halted, present tense only spanish, they go higher up on my list of places I will shop. There is a smaller "gourmet" grocery store, all the other stores sell roughly the same things at about the same price, which I love to frequent. The owner came to Bocas years ago and was upset by the lack of good cheeses to buy (my kind of lady) so she opened up a small, speciality store that has harder to find vegetables (ones that aren't grown locally but are surprisingly still fresh), a large selection of fine cheeses (my favorite section of the store), and a small deli that serves pre made salads and freshly made sandwiches. I also buy my meat here. The other stores in town, where I buy my staples because it's less expensive and I like to spread the benjamins around, have very shady meat sections. The "deli's" always smell terrible, not kinda bad like "uh, it smells a little off" but hold my breath and scurry past the counter full of what looks like half frozen, wrongly colored meats, while I hear cats meowing behind the counter bad. My special grocery store has no cats, or smells, and the meats are fully frozen. Luxury.

       We have also started on a few projects.  We have found out that in all of Panama we cannot get any parts for our Honda engines.  So much for thinking that Honda's are "more international."  We'll keep you posted on that one.  We also tackled the huge project of removing the salon windows, scraping out the now tar like substance that use to be silicone, getting this tar like goo all the over the deck, resealing all the windows, and cleaning off the tar from the deck.  It was a big project but I will be one very happy lady if the dome windows no longer leak.  People must have leak proof boats at some point, that must exist, right? It is something we are earnestly striving for.
(Editor's Note, we still have two small leaks. Damn!! To be fixed. . .)
M.


First two windows off



View from the outside

Close up view of the old silicone we are trying to remove

No comments:

Post a Comment