Friday, November 9, 2012

Surfing and Sweet Potatoes

Conor, El, and I go to the beach pretty much everyday.  We pile our wet suits and surfboards in the bus, put on some good tunes, roll down the windows and cruise along the the curvy, shaded roads from our cabin to Long Sands Beach.  We start our days taking slow, peaceful breaths of salt filled air, then plunging into the crystal clear, albeit chilly, ocean and surfing long, fun waves.  On the small days we sometimes just paddle around for the exercise and healing energy that only the ocean can provide.


There is a surprisingly large surf community here in York.  Growing up in Florida, there was never a shortage of surfers on the beach.  I know there are kind, patient surfers that grace the waves on the east coast of Florida but I feel they are the exception not the norm.  As a kid I loved myself some boogie boarding and I have more than a few clear memories of surfers cursing at me because my gawky 11year old self couldn't maneuver my orange foam board out of their way fast enough.  It never stopped me from enjoying the ocean and the pure joy a boogie board ride provides but that knowledge that perhaps the waves were meant for more skilled riders than I seeped in my subconscious.  That don't "clog up my waves spirit" doesn't seem to be present here in York.  The water is cold year round and there are so many near perfect, long peelers of waves that there is less of a competitive vibe and more of a camaraderie in the water.  As in, if you are tough enough to brave the 50 degree water to have a good ride, well then, you must be here for the love of the water, so you are ok with us.  Before arriving in Maine, I usually felt a piece of that self conscience 11 year old being carried over to my adult self as I showcased my blatant beginner surfing skills.   The more we surf the more that feeling melts away.  We have been welcomed into this unlikely surf community with an unabashed friendliness.  In the water, people wave and say hello as they paddle by or I might get a "right on" from a fellow beginner out there after I get a fun ride.  I have even had seasoned, talented guys paddle over and offer some advice, in the most helpful, kind manner, just sharing a few thoughts to help me enjoy the ride even more.  Eventually people started to recognize the bus as ours, knew we took turns in the water while one of us hung with Elwood, so people would stop by just to say hello.  In a place where we both are getting the longest, most fun rides, the best part is the people.    
M.













































The Wood enjoying his first tastes of real food


Elwood 6 months











The Bear Crawl in Action






Elwood  5 1/2-6 months

No comments:

Post a Comment