Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Sunday Excursions

Walking to Wizard's Beach
The "walking" part for 
Woody didn't actually last that long




 The walk to Wizard's Beach was steep and muddy and tough.  We first walked to Up the Hill, an organic farm run by a wonderful family with three boys, one just about Woody's age.  We stopped in to say a neighborly hello and then continued on to Wizard's Beach.  As we were descending from "Up the Hill" there was a perfectly placed walking stick laid to the side of the path that Conor offered to me.  I gladly accepted and off we went hiking through, at times, almost knee deep mud, each of us with a kid in tow.  I know I would have had more than one fall if not for this walking stick. Which is fine if it was just me, but I had my sweet girl with me that I needed to keep safe.  Later that night, while soaking our mud stained legs in alcohol to kill the potential hookworms, I truly felt that my brother put that stick there for me.  He was looking out for me and little T, helping us safely get down the muddy path while smiling at our positivity and new adventurous life. 

 Conor was not as fortunate and did not find a perfect walking stick awaiting him.  He did, however, get to carry a 40lb whining, wriggling toddler most of the way.  The hour long hike was highlighted by Conor dragging Woody's head through a low hanging tree that had some nasty thorns hiding amongst its branches.  That highlight was followed closely by a horsefly biting Woody's neck.  Horsefly bites do really hurt. . . but in case we didn't know they did, Woody was able to tell us through is sweaty tears that, "It still reeeally hurts."  over and over and over.

There are no pictures of the hike from Up the Hill to Wizards.  I just didn't think me taking out my camera while having a calm, sleepy baby snugly slung to my body while leaning on my perfectly strong yet light walking stick would be good for my marriage.  

  
Our brave boy
Bloody ear and hand still covering the brutal horsefly bite



Jeanette, the mom of the three boys from Up the Hill, sent us on our way with one of her delicious, organic, homemade brownies.  

Blood for Brownies
Woody kept saying,
"Those horns got me!"
Thorns, buddy, thorns. 

Not sure a brownie is
 gonna be enough for this guy


The chocolate is starting to ease the pain

Contemplating the walk
It wasn't that hard. . . 

Totally fixed! 

A swim to wash off the blood, sweat, and tears




For the hike back we fit Woody in Con's backpack 




check out those legs!


Sleeping three year old, a machete, and a walking stick
Sunday Excursions

No comments:

Post a Comment